time is here again and for the first time the greatest Android conference from developers for developers is moving to the east coast. I am back as well and will be making my way to Boston. And of course I will be running the fireside chat event again! By now the fireside chats are an important and well loved event at each AnDevCon. They allow the attendees to exchange ideas and ask their peers and a number of pros on the panel questions in an open format. This time Robert Green of Battery Powered Games fame will join me as co-host for a very interesting topic….
Our topic for the open panel fireside chat will be Android Development Growing Up. The Android platform has come a long way since the early days of Cupcake and Donut (Android 1.5 and 1.6 for those that done remember..) and has matured and grown up a lot. Not just in terms of features and stability, but more so in terms of available tools, libraries, devices and lots more.
However – none of us has stopped either! We have all learned a lot and matured as well. We have moved on from developing an app in a couple of days on our own to working in large development teams. Working with designers, UI specialists, domain experts, dedicated QA team members, product managers, marketing and a lot of other people. And we are working with version control and code review systems, issue trackers, client support forums and so on. On the other side this all needs to be paid, which requires a working business and some regular income. How can you make it all work?
Come to the fireside chat and ask the experts on the panel and your peers in the audience all those burning questions about
- Where to get the money from to pay for all this?
- Or can you grow your efforts on a shoe string budget?
- How to get all these people to work together?
- Can you scale your testing with all the devices you support?
- Does automation offer some help?
- Should you just outsource it all?
And we are here to share our tips and tricks with you! If you have any questions or tips or are interested in some of the answers or ideas of others, you should come by to the fireside chat on Wednesday, 29th May 2012 from 7:30pm to 9:30pm. The event will be outside the regular AnDevCon time so it will be free to attend even if you are not an AnDevCon attendee. And btw. we hope you plan on attending AnDevCon for the rest of the program as well! If you have not registered yet you should take advantage of the discount code “MOSER” or “GREEN” when you get your registration.
The following people will be joining us and providing their expert insight and know how (contact us if you want to join the list…):
- Manfred Moser of simpligility technologies inc., Software development tools specialist, author, trainer, open source and professional Android developer
- Robert Green of Battery Powered Games, Open GL, graphics and games development platform specialist and entrepreneur
- Mike Wolfson, professional Android developer, Android development tools expert and author
- Jake Wharton, Android open source hero of ActionBarSherlock fame working at Square still bringing open source goodness to us all
- Jesse Wilson, former Android platform engineer now working at Square, thank him for Android HTTP client, JSON and lots more
- Gyuri Grell, successful independent Android application developer and consultant with years of Android experience
- Dario Laverde, developer evangelist at HTC, repeat offender for community involvement and open source developer
We look forward to see you there!